Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins
These Rice Krispie Treat pumpkins are ADORABLE! But I need to tell you right out of the gate – if you make them, your hands are going to get messy. Very messy. Before I figured out how to roll them properly I had gooey Rice Krispie treat mixture all over everything. Just picture me standing at the counter, trying to roll a ball, except instead of it turning into a ball, it got stuck on my palms and in between all of my fingers. Grrrr! I hate when that happens!
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows (approximately 40 marshmallows)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Red & Yellow Liquid Food Coloring
- Mini Rolos
- Green M&M's
- ¼ cup cooking oil in a small bowl (to keep it from sticking to your hands)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted and combined with the butter.
- Remove from the heat. Add several drops of yellow food colouring, mix it together, then add red food colouring one drop at a time, mixing as you go. Add red/yellow drops until you reach your desired colour. (I used about 4 drops red and 12 drops yellow). Mix well.
- Add the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
- Coat both sides of your hands with a generous amount of cooking oil, and roll the Rice Krispie mixture into small balls. Set on parchment paper. Add oil to your hands after each ball.
- While the balls are still warm, gently press a Mini Rolo into the top of each pumpkin for the stem and add a green M&M beside it as the leaf. (Tip: If the pumpkins cool before you're finished, use the end of a thick marker or apple corer to make a small indent in the top for the chocolate to sit in.)
- Allow to cool until firm.